Re: Documents now public

Tom,

Thank you for your interest. Thank you for your comment.

As Rich said, it's best to start with the Roadmap.

The 'roles' in our document define patterns that serve as concurrent
or multiple-heredity ancestors for the elements qualified with a role
attribute whose value points into our taxonomy. They are concurrent
in the sense that they combine with and do not (on the whole)
supplant the semantics of the element type of the element bearing
this attribute.

Mostly they refine elements to explain usage. For example, when a
is animated by a script to turn it into a combo-box.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog_comments.jspa?blog=441&entry=92552

Likewise, it doesn't matter what sort of element you use to create
a footer within a column or page, you can convey its rhetorical role
with role="contentInfo".

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-role.html#adef_role_role

Occasionally, however they relax the interpretation of an element, as
when a <table> is used for layout of content that doesn't have array
semantics.

As your students found out, being tutorial about Semantic Web
applications can be difficult.  In their present state, our drafts *may*
be penetrable  by people who, like your students, have already
bruised their knuckles on another such application.

It takes a long time to write a short letter; please bear with us.

And if you can interest your students in spending some time with these
materials, we would very much like to hear from them.

Thanks again,

Al