validation, namespaces, and XHTML

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:47:29 -0400
To: wai-xtech@w3.org
Cc: mimasa@w3.org

Jon asks, "why do my sample pages[1] using the namespace declaration
to tie 'role' values to the XHTML 2.0 namespace fail validation as
XHTML 1.1?"

I don't know the whole answer, but I think the shape of the answer is
given in what Mimasa had to do to create a "validatable to DTD"
dialect including HTML, MathML, and SVG.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG-20020809/

Here I believe he used the driver-DTD techniques from "modularization
in HTML" that are used to integrate XHTML 1.1 from its several
modules.

This is what Raman suggests in

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:NX6hOEVPKi0J:www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/IBM.pdf+validation+of+mixed+namespace+documents&hl=en

Mimasa used the "Modularization in HTML" DTD-building technique to
extend the syntax under one DTD cover, folding more modules into a
composite DTD. This created a consolidated syntax description in the
composite DTD that the validator could work from. The W3C validator
is based on an SGML parser, which checks document instances against a
DTD.

Al

[1] http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/mozilla/role/test1-links.html