From: "Pawson, David" <David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk>
To: <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 7:42 AM
Subject: RE: request for sample page structure analyses

Firstly the terminology used:

This was tested on a few sites by 3 of us,
then used to describe the two sites which follow.
search for ** for the actual sites. Sorry its so long

regards DaveP

Notes on the vocabulary chosen by RNIB.

22 October 04.

*Primary navigation.
*Secondary navigation.
*Tertiary navigation.
*dp* this expresses no meaning for me at all.

Any form of a block of links, normally internal to the site.  No
interest taken in how they are implemented, via a tab system, via an
activated link (e.g. on mouseover, a pulldown appears which contains
the secondary navigation etc. ).

*Generic navigation.
*dp* maybe a better term would be menu or main menu?  If it is unrelated
than perhaps site menu?  Can some of these be described as tables of
contents?

Could be described as primary or secondary, generally its a block of
links often unrelated to the content of the main page body.

*Contextual navigation.
*dp* this sends a signal to me about internalization not same as above at
all.  It is more closely aligned with a table of contents.

Could be interchangeable with primary or secondary, generally its a block of
links closely related to the content of the main page body.

*Logo
 Text or graphical item.
This is too non specific a meaning for something so specific.  I'd say that
a logo is the company/organizational mast head.  I'm not even sure I'd call
it a cannonical page part as it is often contained in something that does
something or if it stands alone, it's just a logo.

*Header. Content at the top of a page, often common across the pages of
a specific site. Visual separation from the content of the page.
*dp* top of page? This has more meaning orientatively than header.

*Footer. Often common across a site. Usually visually separated from
the remainder of the page, may contain other items.
*dp* more generically, end of page?  Footer is fine though because unlike
header, it is usually more prominently displayed.

Page title. The major heading for the page. Often reflected in the
html title tag contents.

Breadcrumb trail.
Series of words often separated by -> or /
Used to indicate the position in the site of the current page.

*A form.  As per the html definition. Unsure if a searchbox is an
  equivalent. We decided that a searchbox is suffiently common to
  warrant a separate descriptor.
*dp* an entire page can be a form, a form is anything that allows input and
submission to either change content or recieve results or to complet a task
other than to navigate around the site unless you are required to fill in a
form in order to navigate which log in might do but what I think of here is
that you aren't shown some things till you say pick a region or type but
that is a form too.  I think we need to use form in the fullest sense.

*Content (perhaps page content might be more specific?). The major
block of content of a page. Often the central block in a page.
*dp* the entire page is content.  We need to deffine this more precicely as
a block of text and possibly only one block of text or main page body if
that is the case.

*Content heading. The major head of a piece of content.
*dp* Seems like a heading to me a major heading to be sure, but a heading
none the less.

*Section. A part of content. May have its own heading.
*dp* what bounds a section?  What is a section contained in?  If we are
going from heading to heading, why not just use headings and define them as
higher or lower in importance as we try to do with h1 -h7?

*Text block. Lowest level of content, from a single paragraph up to a
series of paragraphs.
*dp* perhaps not the lowest level.

*Advertisement. Visual entity, text or graphic or animated gif or other
means of realisation.
*dp* I like the description, but advertisement may not be the correct word
here since lots of these are done for other than advert reasons.
Advertisement is certainly something that welcomes distinction though so we
can throw it away.

An image. (as per advertisement, may be realised in many ways).

*pop-up window. Is this part of a page?
*dp* is it there before you pop it up?

Tooltip. pop up item appearing on activation via mouse-over or other means.

Structure.

Note that almost any item may contain any other item, e.g. an
advertisement within a footer, or secondary navigation within page content.

Utilisation of this vocabulary will determine the granularity needed.

** site reviews.

page
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/266239/ref=cs_nav_tab_b/026-7825007-6282022

Top, down to 'Free UK delivery'
Header:
Contains;
Advertisement.
Logo.
Primary navigation (in tab form).

*Left hand side, there are 5 blocks.
*dp* this is missing from the list above and is important to have.

Block 1, search box.
Block 2 and 3, secondary navigation or Contextual navigation.
block 4, (Make money), Advertisement .
block 5. Generic navigation.

Footer. From 'wheres my stuff' to end of page.
top down description,

Secondary navigation.
Search box.
Secondary navigation.
Primary navigation (from 'Make £££ from your purchases' to bottom of page)

Contents. (from 'Books' down to footer)
Page title ( or content heading)

sections,
 each with section heading and text blocks.

*Right hand side, 5 blocks.
*dp* this is also meaningfull and missing from the list of terms.

*block 1 to 5, contextual navigation
b*lock 6, advertisement
What determines the number of the block?

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/

header (down to change of hue)
logo.
primary navigtion.
advertisement.

content.
page title.
Logo ( is an image).

(on right)
primary navigation (beginners .. masters)

sections,
 heading and text blocks.

on right hand side,
Search box,