From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@tiscali.co.uk>
To: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Cc: "Protocolls and formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>; <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation For Document Exploration In SVG 1.2

I think everything has it's place.  Different output modalities, as with who
or what is responsible for extracting the semantics, will be appropriate for
different users in different use contexts.  For example, tactile graphics
lack definition compared to auditory graphics, which in turn lack definition
compared to visual graphics.  So, if you wanted increased definition
auditory graphics hold benefits over tactile graphics, and they can also
indicate more than just two states *smile*.  However, in some use cases the
features confined by the anatomical, physiological and perceptual
limitations of tactation, may convey enough information and accurately
enough for the user to interpret the semantic meaning, in other cases they
may not.

I'm not ruling anything out, just adding to the arsenal of interface designs
that we have, so that we may be able to best choose the one most appropriate
for the user, the task and the context.

Will