  From: Will Pearson
  To: wai-xtech@w3.org
  Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:38 PM
  Subject: Keyboard Navigation For Document Exploration In SVG 1.2

  Hi;

  At the moment there's no clear indication within the spec that document exploration should be made available through a ua's keyboard interface.  Whilst most people will be able to visually explore the image, this won't be possible for some users, and may not be possible for others.  Therefore, I would like to suggest that some form of navigation between container elements and graphic elements be recommended as a guideline for ua developers.  This should facilitate exploration of the document away from any elements with 'focusable' set to true, or active elements with 'focusable' set to auto.

  Ideally, this would be based on spatial direction, thus allowing the user to build up a mental model of the spatial relationships between elements.

  The spec already makes provision for a range of alternative pointing devices, through DOM 3 I think, but I think we need something a bit more granular than a pixel by pixel movement typically offered by pointing devices.  The main reason for this, is that the HCI task analysis for moving two points require the user to know where the pointer is in relation to the target.  This can be done with speech, and there's an event in JAWS to handle this, but having experimented with this on a small number of users, doing the math necessary to work out the relationship between pointer and target raised the cognitive workload, as measured by the NASA-TLX test, quite significantly.

  So, I propose the following eight keys to facilitate document exploration within a ua:
                             I.       Up (337.5º - 22.5º)

                           II.      Diagonally up and right (22.5º - 67.5º)

                          III.       Right (67.5º - 112.5º)

                       IV.       Diagonally down and right (112.5º - 157.5º)

                         V.       Down (157.5º - 202.5º)

                       VI.       Diagonally down and left (202.5º - 247.5º)

                      VII.       Left (247.5º - 292.5º)

                    VIII.      Diagonally left and up (292.5º - 337.5º)

  Each of these keys will be responsible for moving to the nearest element within a 45º arc, as listed above.

  Will