From: "Jason White" <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
To: "Lisa Seeman" <lisa@ubaccess.com>
Cc: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@tiscali.co.uk>; <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: XHTML 2 Role Tag

> First a terminological note: it isn't a tag, it is an element. "Tag"
> refers to a start-tag, and end-tag or an "empty element" tag in XML,
> but not to the whole element.
> Lisa Seeman writes:
>  >
>  >   ----- Whilst the semantics of the role are conveyed by the proposed
tag, I don't see how it covers other encoding channels such as spatial
relationships.  For example, there could be an advertising image to the left
of a block of text.  The semantic meaning conveyed by this relationship may
be that the image is an advertisement for the text content, ie. a picture of
a product and some blurb about that product next to it.