techniques for better as well as for good [was: Re: programaticallylocated.doc]

** summary:

WCAG is refining Success Criteria to be applied as a minimum standard
for all web
content.

PF is reviewing the infrastructure of W3C technologies for how they support
these capabilities *plus* more aggressive strategies for assistance which may
be applied selectively where the content is known in advance to be targeted
for education of high-risk learners, or is of a government or safety
nature where
there is high criticality to very widespread understanding.

So we should recognize at least the two following 'better' performance cases

- binding or enabling traceability to "the right definition" is
better for service
to minor-language speaker groups including the users of sign and
symbol languages.

- likewise, binding into a thesaurus network with synonym relationships denoted
in machine-interpretable ways is better than just retrieving
dictionary or glossary
entries without this comparative information.

WCAG may have limited the 'programmatically located' success criterion to
retrieving a short list of dictionary or glossary entries.  The range
of techniques
that PF wants to learn how to support through metadata exceeds this in terms
of also seeking what techniques to use to meet the above two 'better'
conditions.

Details in the context of the thread below.

Al

At 3:20 PM +0300 8/8/04, Lisa Seeman wrote:
>  > > 1. To what extent, if implemented, would this concretely benefit
>>  >    people with cognitive disabilities?
>
>To me, if a page is inaccessible  if someone can theoretically
>understand the concepts in a page, but can not because of the page
>presentation/ format.
>
>Many people could theoretically understand the concepts behind a page
>but can not understand  because they have a reading . word/  language
>related disability.
>
>Symbolic makes it accessible to them.
>A lexicon enables symbolic.

This is the link where I believe that the use cases PF is currently looking
to support by format features and the 'programmatically located' success
standard of WCAG deliver different levels of performance, and we need
to be aware of this.

The difference has to do with the quality of the semantic backup that
is bound to the "term use" in the web content [1].

If the binding links to a "unique sense" then more users will succeed after
machine transliteration than if the binding only retrieves a short list of
candidate semantic backups.

In many cases for the author to resolve ambiguities is readily achievable.

So since there is a non-zero volume of use case where there is material
benefit and the difference is readily achievable, it is in our set of uses
to consider in reviewing format capabilities.

In addition, if the reference is to something which is supplied with thesaurus
relationships as well as with "definitions" that will also make a material
improvement in the outcome when translating to symbol languages,
sign languages, or any other transliteration where there is not a large
market supporting high-capital-investment translation services.