[XAG] Help for interactive items

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:26:02 +0200
To: wai-xtech@w3.org

Something that has come up at least in the contexts of HTML forms
(where Jaws implemented a special trick), Xforms, and XML events, is a
need to explain what a control does, from a link, which is usually
obvious, to a button that activates interesting events.

I am wondering if we should be proposing a specific requirement for
interactions that they explain what they do. (In a way this is
extending the "make sure it's clear where a link goes" and "make sure
form controls are labelled" for HTML).

This strikes me as related to checkpoint 3.4 "Use a device-independent
interaction and events model / module" in the current draft, but not
part of that draft.

One technique is to re-use Xforms and XML events that have these.
Another that I think is less relevant to XAG and more relevant to
legacy formats is to use an annotation mechanism to add them to
existing controls - I will write more on this.

cheers

Chaals