Re: [XAG] event triggers Re: Comments on XAG - 3 Oct 2002

At 03:33 AM 2003-02-19, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>My personal opinion, which I think matches PF's consensus, is that some
>events in DOM2 such as onmouse* are indeed device specific. There are ways
>of working around this - the current situation that included some
>non-specific events alongside some specific ones doesn't strike me as a
>great outcome :(
>
>There is discussion of this more and more frequently, and I believe that
>the Batik SVG viewer has implemented a fairly device-independent set of
>event triggers tied to particular user agent inputs. I hope to find time
>to follow this up further, but it seems never to exist.

This is a good point to work on getting into the document more clearly.

Some applications, such as a query of a GIS for the nearest gas station, are
intrinsically point-specific.  Others just use a point to accomplish the
isolation of an object which matches many points and has an articulable
identity and functions independent of which point was used to indicate the
object.  The present state of the art is that much of the semantic
information that an Assistive Technology needs to re-bind the interaction
using other devices is buried in the script of the handler in a way which is
not practical for the Assistive Technology to extract.

The HTML WG has taken on a goal of creating an "XML Handlers" notational
facility
that is a complement to what exists in "Events in XML" that will get more of
the critical information exposed in a way that ATs could use it.

Yes, we would like to see migration that would put some of the current events
in dis-use or else re-build their definition and implementation in a way that
is more 'repurposable.'

Al