Re: [Fwd: [closed] chas-01 request to add aboutEachPrefix]

At 09:51 AM 2003-04-09, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>This issue got rejected by the RDF core group.
>
>My feeling is that  aboutEachPrefix per se is indeed a nasty hack with
>lots of problems. On the other hand there is a huge need to be able to
>discuss a class of objects without enumerating every member of the class
>in advance. For example, pages produced by an organisation, or pages
>aproved by an individual for publication. (In fact there is no reason why
>these would all begin with the same fragment of URI anyway).
>
>It may be that this is only possible by using OWL. This would mean that we
>cannot expect to meet these use cases except with systems which have the
>additional machinery, as far as I can tell. I would like to ask the grop
>for an explicit clarification of whether this is the case, and if so I
>will actually request something to this effect go in the primer (including
>at the least a link to an explanation of how it can be done using the full
>glory of the Framework)...

We have a more imminent and deeper need than that, I believe.

If I catch your drift

- it takes more than OWL, it takes the functions of the Logic group applied to
the declaratives of the OWL to do what one needs, and...

- we need this NOW for lexicons, in particular a Glossary entry is already
something of the pattern-class that you are discussing, and that RDF does not
support natively.  It binds some further information to a set of instances;
where what we have by way of definition for the set is an
instance-recognition pattern, not an enumeration of identities of the
affected instances.

Al