Re: XAG 2.3 and xlink

Hi, that review was member-confidential so I need to get permission from the
authors and contributors before we could release it. (This is why I prefer to
have discussion in public wherever possible.) I will try to do so.

In the meantime, the alternative is to provide a more element-based system
for providing alternatives - see checkpoint 1.2

  Define flexible associations, where a given kind of relationship can link
  to or from objects of varying types without constraint

Which means that relying on attributes to allow for two or three alternatives
is not generally sufficient for meeting the checkpoint. However, Xlink does
allow for "extended" type links, which can have multiple hrefs and arcs.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#linking-elements

Perhaps if you outline a scenario it would be helpful to use it as a case
study and see what we learn.

Cheers

Chaals

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>2.3 in XAG says:
>"2.3 Use the standard XML linking and pointing mechanisms (XLink and
>XPointer).
>Xlink and XPointer have been reviewed for accessibility and their
>linking/pointing semantics may be recognized with certainty. "
>
>Can someone point me to this review, as I find it very constraining.  To
>easy attach media equivalents to an element by uri, I'd want to attach
>multiple xlink's to that element (like in html's img where we have src
>and longdesc) the alternative is unwieldy, and is unlikely to promote
>accessibility.
>
>Jim.

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22