Re: Accesskey again

I agree with Jonny that the formulation here adds more than we mean to. I
think it MUST allow only giving focus, and SHOULD allow the user to select
direct activation (and therefore have a configuration option).

(Personally I would like to have the extended reauirement implied in the
proposal, but can live with less).

Cheers

Chaals

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Jonny Axelsson wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:06:39 +0100, Steven Pemberton
><steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>
>> The current proposal is now:
>>
>> A user agent SHOULD just focus when an accesskey is used.
>> A user agent MUST supply a user option to choose between focus and
>> focus+activate.
>>
>> So this still allows the phone people to do focus and activate, while
>> making
>> it clear that the usual behaviour is to just focus.
>>
>> Is there anybody who *cannot* live with this?
>
>I can live with that, and this is actually in the direction I think
>accesskey should go, but you are not saying what you are saying you are
>saying.
>
>This "user option" wording obliges user agents to support both mechanisms
>(focus, activate) as well as a mechanism for the user to select between
>those two. This would be too hard for many devices. Something like "A user
>agent MUST give the element focus when an accesskey is used. It  MAY
>activate the element after giving it focus." may be closer.

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22