Re: Accesskey again

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:17:42 +0100, Steven Pemberton
<steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:

>> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:06:39 +0100, Steven Pemberton
>> <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>>
>> > The current proposal is now:
>> >
>> > A user agent SHOULD just focus when an accesskey is used.
>> > A user agent MUST supply a user option to choose between focus and
>> > focus+activate.

> Hmm, first you say you can live with it, then you make changes!
>
> Are you suggesting to make the requirement to switch methods a SHOULD
> instead of a MUST?

*I* can live with it, since I believe accesskey to be several mechanisms
and that the action should be configurable somehow (e.g. with XML Handlers)
. But you are asking *every* accesskey implementation, even the one that
currently do focus, to support two different modes and a switching
mechanism between them. I would suggest saving that for XHTML 2.0. Before
that, all three implementations, focus, focus+activate, or user
configurable should be conformant behaviour in my opinion.

--
Jonny Axelsson,
Web Standards,