Re: Mailing list archives: feeback requested on proposedimprovements (2: view)

I am very disappointed, particularly as the HTML group, on the recommendation
of WAI PF, after discussion of this issue, changed the content model of HTML
4.01 specifically to make this valid (as well as the fact that it worked in
browsers).

I will take an action to raise this again as an issue in WCAG.

Chaals

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

  Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:

  >>>This is for accessibility reason. See:
  >>>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#group-bypass
  >>>
  >>Ooh I hadn't spotted this before. This is weird tag abuse. Can anyone
  >>explain to me what the accessibility advantages are of using a client-side
  >>image map not as a client-side image map, but as a container for links?
  >>
  >>Why is it better than using a <p> or a <div>?
  >>

  > Good question. Maybe Al will be able to give more input on that.
  > Interestingly, it looks like this usage of <map> is not considered good
  > anymore:
  > http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wai-gl-tech-issues.html#group-bypass
  > "A further conclusion is that we do not want to recommend the MAP element
  > as a way to group links since it is a non-standard use of the element."

  That's unfortunate that the WCAG WG concluded that after:

    1) That proposal being integrated into HTML 4.01, and
    2) A fair amount of time spent in the UAWG trying to meet the need
      of recognizing MAP as navigation markup.

  I have not been party to the discussion in the WCAG WG, but I'm
  a little disappointed to hear that now they're unrecommending what
  is not *yet* standard practice but might have been.

    _ Ian