Re: Mailing list archives: feeback requested on proposedimprovements (2: view)

le jeu 28-03-2002 à 10:42, Steven Pemberton a écrit :
> > > I don't get the idea of putting the navbar in a <map> (client side image
> > > map). What's the point? What do you gain?
>
> > This is for accessibility reason. See:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#group-bypass
>
> Ooh I hadn't spotted this before. This is weird tag abuse. Can anyone
> explain to me what the accessibility advantages are of using a client-side
> image map not as a client-side image map, but as a container for links?
>
> Why is it better than using a <p> or a <div>?

Good question. Maybe Al will be able to give more input on that.
Interestingly, it looks like this usage of <map> is not considered good
anymore:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wai-gl-tech-issues.html#group-bypass
"A further conclusion is that we do not want to recommend the MAP element
as a way to group links since it is a non-standard use of the element."

Al, should I switch to the techniques recommended at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wai-gl-tech-issues.html#group-bypass (namely,
using class="nav" and an appropriate tabindex)?

Dom
W3C's Webmaster
mailto:dom@w3.org