Re: Mailing list archives: feeback requested on proposed improvements (3: messages)

le mer 27-03-2002 à 14:00, Steven Pemberton a écrit :
> Comments (part 3) on:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03/archives-improvements/ml-message
>
> The page I experimented with is at
> http://www.cwi.nl/~steven/w3c/lists/ml-message.html
> (It still needs work)(I haven't touched the footer navbar)
> ====
> I don't see the value of the bullets in the navbar.

See my reply to your previous mail.

> There's no reason to include the message headers in the <pre>. Only the body
> of the message needs to be <pre>.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree. I like the idea of having most of the
email preserved as is in the <pre> tag. Could you give more input on
this?

> ====
> Message pages are very noisy. Your primary aim is to read the message, the
> other things are secondary; yet you have to do a lot to get to the message
> body. I have experimented with quietening them down. The information is
> still there (in the titles), but not so in your face.

Your version is interesting, but some things won't work in production
mode: for instance, a message can have several "Next" and "Next in
thread" messages: how would you incorporate them in one list?

> General comments on navigation.
>
> I note that the hierarchy of the lists are as follows:
>
> 1: Archives (many lists)
> 2: List (one particular list)
> 3: Sorted view (by author, by date, etc)
> 4: Message.
>
> Looking at the navigation you can always get from level n to level n+1.
>
> You can get from 4 to 3
> You can get from 4 to 1
> You can get from 3 to 1
>
> But you can't get from 4 to 2
>, from 3 to 2,

yes, you can. The link "this list, more time" is supposed to link to 2
in 3 and 4.

> or from 2 to 1:

I don't think that there is a so strong relationship between 2 and 1.
See my reply to David's mail:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2002Mar/0028.html

Dom