Re: Plugins and object element

The accessibility requirement is that there are accessibility needs to be
able to set up a different plugin that go beyond "I would prefer to use
software X".

I agree that this is a general user problem as well. I can also see why
people would imagine specifying a particular plugin program is what they want
to do, and something stronger than just "be nice to users" is always helpful.

Cheers

Chaals

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > Issue: the object element can poiint to a plugin application instead of
  > allowing the user to choose the most useful one.
[snip]
  > For example, there is a classid for the Adobe SVG plugin, and this is what
  > gets specified. If a user has an accessibility need for a different plugin
  > (for example a talking plugin), as I understand it they are unable to use
  > that instead without major poking about in the systems innards.

  A similar requirement we considered (but rejected) was "The UA must
  hand off focus to ATs." This is certainly true, but not strictly
  an accessibility requirement; it affects anyone who wants to use
  a plugin. This seems more appropriate for /TR/CX or Common User
  Agent Problems, and as you say, format specifications or XAG.

    _ Ian