RE: [XML 1.1] Allowable element names

I think pragmatically we should recognise that a lot of XML is probably
created automatically from instance data, used internally to a small
orgainsation, and that's it.

But then, when I started working on accessibility only a minority of
documents in HTML used the alt attribute for images - so I think there is
progress we can make. Although it isn't necessarily going to be reliable,
getting a link to a schema as a priority would be helpful.

And as with alternatives for images, it is possible for a third party to
create a schema and link it externally. So it may be that this becomes a
relatively reliable technique in a couple of years.

Cheers

Chaals

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

  Charles wrote:
  > Yes, in XML Accessibility Guidelines we do encourage people
  > to have a schema
  > definition - particularly in Guideline 4 -
  > http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/XML/#g4_0

  >From which it may be possible to retrieve element information.
  Agreed.

  Pragmatically, only a minority of todays XML documents do reference
  the schema/DTD from which they were derived.
  I don't believe this to be a reliable method of obtaining
  element descriptions.

  regards DaveP

  > On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, William Loughborough wrote:
  >
  >   At 08:59 AM 6/20/2002 -0400, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
  >   >c) Don't require a schema for every XML usage.
  >
  >   Perhaps "require" is too harsh, but we ought do something
  > to encourage
  >   "schematization permeation" of "things 'X'"?
  >
  >   --
  >   Love.
  >
  >   It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!
  >
  > --
  > Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles
  > phone: +61 409 134 136
  > W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI
  > fax: +33 4 92 38 78 22
  > Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
  > (or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia
  > Antipolis Cedex, France)

  -

  confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
  intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
  disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
  immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
  system.

  RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
  attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
  cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
  transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

  represent those of RNIB.

  RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

  Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

  14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to