Re: [48 hour] DRAFT Last Call comment Re: [XML 1.1] Allowable element names

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@topologi.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 01:44:23 +1000
To: "WAI Cross-group list" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> wrote

>> *  "no clear cut."

> CMN But that isn't a position the group has agreed on. A thumbs-up character
> or a smiley face is readable to a lot more people than using a non-zero
> integer or the keyword "true", although it does present problems that require
> resolution. But the argument is that absolute restrictions on names in XML
> 1.1 will not be the best outcome for accessibility.

I am confused (not uncommon!) Al's summary says "The discussion was inconclusive"
and gives a lot of reasons where unrestricted characters can cause problems, but
Charles is saying the opposite, that there was a conclusive decision reached that
unrestricted characters are positively good.

Sorry to be dense,
Rick Jelliffe