Re: [48 hour] DRAFT Last Call comment Re: [XML 1.1] Allowable element names

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@topologi.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 00:31:09 +1000
To: "WAI Cross-group list" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

From: "Marja-Riitta Koivunen" <marja@w3.org>

> Does this mean that a group of Finnish users could not agree on using tags
> written in Finnish words with a-umlaut and o-umlaut?

No, no-one is proposing anything like that.  Where did you get that idea from?

In fact, I think the reverse is being suggested, that the naming rules
for XML should encompass all characters that people write words with
in any language.

The issue is whether to let into XML 1.1 characters which no-one can
use in a word, and which at the current and medium term state of the art
would not be renderable by accessibility tools.

It is whether characters such as the white thumbs up should be allowed
into names using inside XML markup (and which would therefore
also appear in links, URLs, scripts, CSS, etc).  Currently these things
are not allowed in XML 1.0.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe