Re : Definition "content" :PLEASE DEFINE

Graham,

I think if you mean "text" then we ought to say "text" or "text content" instead of "passive content."  As you said in your follow-up post, we already use "active elements" and "text."  Both of these are "content" in the UAAG 1.0 definition [1]:
In this specification, the noun "content" is used in three ways:
It is used to mean the document object as a whole or in parts.
It is used to mean the content of an HTML or XML element, in the sense employed by the XML 1.0 specification ([XML], section 3.1): "The text between the start-tag and end-tag is called the element's content." Context should indicate that the term content is being used in this sense.
It is used in the context of the phrases non-text content and text content.
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/glossary.html#def-content

The UAAG definition of "Text content, non-text content, text element, non-text element, text equivalent non-text equivalent" is at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/glossary.html#def-non-text-content

a definition of rendered content is available at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/glossary.html#def-rendered-content

In general, I think we can use these definitions.  I mistakenly said these were from the ATAG document in my previous email. These are from UAAG.

--wendy

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium