Re: Definition "content" :PLEASE DEFINE

my 2 bits....

Charles,
It seems to me that some of the terms that you suggest are similar to those already defined in ATAG.  For example, I think "information conveyed by a document" and "Information provided by an element" are trying to get at the intent and purpose of including those elements.  The purpose is based on how the user perceives and/or uses the contents of the element or its attributes. Perhaps reusing "rendered content" is the most efficient approach (rather than selecting new phrases to use).

I really like what is in ATAG and propose we inherit some of those definitions in WCAG, at least as a starting point to see how they fit.

>  Content refers to the document object as a whole or in parts. Phrases
>  such as "content type", "text content", and "language of content" refer
>  to this usage. When used in this sense, the term content encompasses
>  equivalent alternatives. Refer also to the definition of rendered
>  content. and other accessibility information.
>  Content refers to the content of an HTML or XML element, in the sense
>  employed by the XML 1.0 specification ( XML, section 3.1): "The text
>  between the start-tag and end-tag is called the element's content."
>  Context should indicate that the term content is being used in this
>  sense.

Some other thoughts:

element content - The text or other elements contained between the opening
tag and the closing tag of an element in an XML or XML-like language.
(this is specific to one selected element)

content - 1. a collection of element content, i.e. every node in the tree.
2. an individual node of the tree that has can been rendered in some medium.
3. content is information intended to be presented to the user or controls that the user will interact with.

rendered content - content that has been rendered in some medium for the purposes of user interaction.

Therefore, the distinction is that we have individual nodes and we have the collection of nodes.  I see the individual nodes being called "element content" and the collection as "the content."   I see this as being synch with the beginning of the ATAG definition where it states, "Content refers to the document object as a whole or in parts."

"Document" only seems to apply if the collection of nodes makes a document; some of these collections will be applications rather than documents.  I know it refers to the "document object" and therefore all of the nodes. It has confused readers in the past, leading them to believe we are only talking about documents and not including applications. Therefore, I hope we can be careful in the usage of the word "document" (i.e. be consistent with DOM definitions but also keep in mind the possible confusion it has for readers).

--wendy

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium