Re: meta comments on XML Accessibility Guidelines - n images

At 08:36 AM 2002-12-04, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

>DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:
>>
>>I like the sense of these comments Al;
>>Could we extract some of it for XAG?
>
>Is this really for XAG?

As I see it, yes; there is stuff that belongs in XAG, but
it may not be obvious until one adds back into the change
proposal a few points that Dave missed, and I may have not
spelled out enough.

Suffice it to say that the things you have recapitulated
are the instance requirements that must be supported, and
these are traceable to existing writ, but that the feasible
range of "how to do this in a format" expressed in the part
of the message

<quote>

In other words, there is a declarative assertion of a bag of
roughly-equivalent resources, an author's expected ordering of
preference for selection of one, and an understanding that some
other optimization to select one or more than one may be appropriate
in some circumstances.

So a select-first-match-from-list default structure with a permissive
escape to processing as the superclass select-multiple-from-bag is a rough
summary of the format structure.

</quote>

gives evidence of a more analytical view of the format design
problem that interprets the instance requirements in terms
of XML dialect constructs.

I actually believe that what I see as appropriate here is more
clear when we apply the remaining XAG guidelines in this scenario.

The point with the multiple images is that the differences between the
alternatives have to be made clear to both person and machine, so there is
an information structure that has to be captured in the format which goes
beyond just a bag of image objects.  This is required under XAG Guidelines 2
and 4 as a response to the guidelines "1. support WCAG" and "3. support
UAAG" [I paraphrase heavily].

The other hard part is that the Accessibility requirement does not resolve
whether the format specification will bind similarity semantics *implicitly*
through collecting the similar items in one container element as in html:object
or smil:switch or indicate the associations through *explicitly* marked
relationships (attributes of type IDREF | IDREFS) or even more indirectly
through relationship assertions outside the primary syntax tree as in
smil:metadata (see also SRGS).

So we may need to be getting into writing queries against infosets as the
medium of expression for what it is that is required.  But there is content
in there, and simply identifying SMIL as the first place to look for prior
art for content control and SVG as the first such reference for grouping and
annotation within the XML syntax, we will have helped format designers a lot.

How can I put it?  I think that the fact that Paul felt moved
to ask shows that there is a use for something beyond the operational
requirements on the instances that are captured in the WCAG and UAAG.

Al