Re: Making Math equations accessible

I am also intersted in the reasons why you did not use MathML - and whether
you do use MathML as an underlying representation, converting it to gif or
other format on the fly.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Al Gilman wrote:

>Hi, Alan.
>
>I see by the EASI archives that you are working with the formatting of
>equations for accessibility.
>
>  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0211d&L=easi&O=A&P=2406
>
>Did you consider using the OBJECT element to insert the image and text into the
>host document, and not an IMG element with its ALT attribute?
>
>This should work enough the same in the browser at the moment but will
>configure the content development infrastructure in a mode of operation where
>format options that function at a higher level can be integrated as available.
>
>There are consumers who are tooled up to process TeX or Nemeth, for example,
>and there are authors who are tooled up to produce same.  By using OBJECT
>instead of IMG we allow those folks to connect and do not reduce the best of
>the web to the least common denominator.
>
>Al

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22