RE: SVG accessibility - title, description and what to do with it

At 08:32 AM 9/7/2001 +0100, DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

> > Do you have a clear model for the way an SVG user agent
> > should interact with
> > assistive technology with respect to Title and Description? If I were
> > linearizing an SVG document, should the linearized version
> > include all titles
> > and/or descriptions?

I think the linearized version includes all, but when the user is
navigating through it he/she should be able to ask just the main components
of the image and/or navigate down selected components one at a time.

With a good navigation capabilities of UA and an image with a good
conceptual hierarchy it should be easy. Otherwise we probably need some
metadata to tell which are the main component.

>Should it stop descending the hierarchy
> > as soon as it
> > encounters a description?

You mean, not linearize the rest? I think not. The user should be able to
control how much information he/she wants. Sometimes the description of the
whole might be enough e.g. when first seeing the image and later the user
may want to go to the details after reading some more of the document text.
Other times the user may want to look at the details of the image first to
understand the whole.

>Are descriptions attached to nodes
> > of a complex
> > graphic each intended to be a stand-alone replacement for the
> > attached node?
> > Should they assume the context of encompassing descriptions?
>
>Charles and I played with this some time ago, with a particularly nasty
>piece of text in SVG.
>
>I tried using relative positions, to sort out the ordering of text
>elementw within the page, i.e. using the xy positions to determine
>the order of presentation. It didn't work particularly well for that
>example. I was using xslt to obtain text elements, titles etc.

I think it is the same problem as with the tables or layout: the authors
should think how the information should be linearized and try to put the
components in that order. If it is not possible because the image needs to
be drawn in certain order, then I think we need some metadata.

Marja