Re: archive: brief list of issues

At 10:05 AM 2001-09-06 , Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>Al Gilman wrote:
>>
>> * Hyperlink from message distributed by email to list to archives (self in
>> archive, probably).
>
>Yes, we've asked for that on a number of occasions. There's some
>hesitation about including the archive URI in the message itself
>because then it's no longer the original message. I'm not sure
>whether the systems Team has been thinking about this issue lately.

There is a design constraint that wrappings added by the distribution service
be clearly recognizable as such.

But I have a clear policy line in mind from participating in the list-managers
listserv and working on the infrastructure to serve the lynx
developer-and-user
community that says things like list-added footers can be done in a way which
is an appropriate part of the deal of the group use of the list
distribution as
group infrastructure.

It's not a random email message, it is a submission to a group discussion.  If
it comes back with pro-forma value added from the infrastructure, there is no
reason that shouldn't be part of the deal, the bylaws governing group
participation.

There is a strict rule about not corrupting or hiding the originator's
legitimate ways to make value-added wrappings or annotations part of the
distributed package.

[In low-tech, most-mail-tools-handle-this encodings.]

Al

<http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs>http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs