Re: Glossary: Web Content

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:19:19 -0400
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
CC: wai-xtech@w3.org
"Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> > > "Web Content" is any network retrievable "Web Resource".
> >
> > I am not quite in agreement because you can do
> > "content negotiation"
>
> Good point - I left that bit out; what you get back when you
> dereference (for example) an HTTP resource is a a representation of
> that resource, not the resource itself.
>
> "A piece of Web Content is the representation of the Web Resource,
> obtained by dereferencing any piece of network retrivable content
> identified by a URI."

Now consider the following: the markup was illegal, so the
user agent has to do some repair. Is the Web content what
the UA received over the wire, or what the result of the
repair is?

In UAAG 1.0, we ended up saying: content is generally
what the user agent retrieves, but it may be subject to
repair. We are interested in the result, which is the
document object.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783