Re: Glossary: Web Content

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:48:35 -0400
To: DPawson@rnib.org.uk
CC: wai-xtech@w3.org
DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

> > From: Gregg Vanderheiden
> > Good question.
> >
> > What is the WEB.  It is HTTP retrievable information?  Or any
> > information
> > retrievable over TCP/IP?   Or IP?    Or via other protocols?
>
> A simple mans view. The web is the bits of wet string that connect
> the machines that allow content to be propogated / found.
>
> It works on the analogy side too!

This from Tim Berners-Lee [1]:

"My definition of the Web is a universe of network-accessible
information, and I break the "full potential" into two by looking
at it first as a means of human-to-human communication, and then
as a space in which software agents can, though access to a vast
amount of everything which is society, science and its problems,
become tools to work with us."

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecture.html

Tim has said that the Web is first and foremost "defined"
by URIs. HTML is just another format. HTTP is just another
protocol.

From Web Characterization [2]:

  "In this context we use them to describe the information
   space known as the Web."

[2] http://www.w3.org/1999/05/WCA-terms/

So, in my mind, the Web is an information space. The
resources in this space are identified by URIs.

 - Ian

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783