Re: Glossary: Web Content

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:01:14 -0400
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
CC: wai-xtech@w3.org
"Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> > > Really, "Web Content" should be used to indicate any
> > > network retrievable "Web Resource" [2], but I think
> > > that WCAG uses it in the sense of "content suitable for
> > > use in a hypermedia environment", i.e. anything that
> > > can be handled by HTTP.
> >
> > I prefer the former, the latter being just a restriction?
>
> Yep, I agree with that. Still, I think that a lot of people see "HTTP"
> (an perhaps FTP) as being all that the Web really has to offer... and
> it's the sense of "Web" that I felt WCAG using. Not essential to the
> definition though so yes, go with the former.
>
> "Web Content" is any network retrievable "Web Resource".

I am not quite in agreement because you can do "content negotiation"
while seeking a single resource. Therefore, it would seem that
content is what you get back as the manifestation of a resource.

I would also say that content does not include the HTTP
entity header, for example.

This is one reason why UAAG 1.0 equates content with the
document object.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783