Re: URL for the PDF Techniques

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:32:01 -0400
To: Katie Haritos-Shea <kshea@apollo.fedworld.gov>
CC: 1 W3C WAI XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, "Wendy A. Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>, Loretta Guarino-Reid <lguarino@Adobe.COM>
Katie Haritos-Shea wrote:

> The URL for the PDF Techniques is at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2000/12/pdf.html .

Hi Katie,

I note that your this version and latest version URIs
are the same, which seems problematic to me.

I recommend following the standard W3C conventions
for URIs to documents:

"This version": <path>/STATUS-shortname-YYYYMMDD
"Latest version": <path>/shortname

In this case, since these are WCAG Techniques,
I suggest that the shortname be consistent with
previous ones:  WCAG10-PDF-FECHS

If this is not a Techniques document for WCAG 1.0,
then the initial string should be rethought (e.g.,
"WCAG" or "WCAG20").

If you intend the WCAG WG version to always be
under /GL/2000/12, that's fine. The latest version
would be:

  http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2000/12/WCAG10-PDF-TECHS

and this version:

 http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2000/12/WD-WCAG10-PDF-TECHS-20010116

I realize that these URIs are kind of long. The short name
(WCAG10-PDF-TECHS) might be negotiated. Or, make
the latest version URI something like:
  http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG10-PDF-TECHS

(which is the convention used for the other WCAG 1.0
 techniques documents published for the WG).

Don't change the current document, whose URI you've
already published. Instead, I recommend starting with
the above conventions (and your favorite short name)
starting with the next draft.

More information on publication rules (Member-visible):
  http://www.w3.org/Guide/pubrules

More information on document ideas:
  http://www.w3.org/Guide/Reports

Thank you,

 - Ian

Note: You will have to follow these conventions when
the document is published under /TR.

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783