Re: Request for feedbacks on SVG Accessibility, linearization, RDF, etc...

That is really interesting. It is a friend of mine (Dave Duke) who drew my
attention on a book C. Strothotte and T. Strothotte, Seeing Between Pixels,
SpringerVerlag, Heidelberg, (1997), which has a chapter on the issue,
although they concentrate a bit more on 3D graphics rendered for braile.
Have you seen the prototype?

My original posting is really a complement. They themselves say that they
go through the SVG tree and get the <desc> and <title> elements as source
of information; my problem was that there is a need for a 'structure' for
that kind of information.

It might be a good idea to have a collection of all these tools and methods
in one place for the WAI group...

Ivan

At 11:14 02-07-01, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>there was a paper presented on tactile graphics using SVG at the CSUN
>conference on disabilities last March:
>
>Smart Figures, SVG and Accessible Web Graphics
>by John Gardner and Vladimir Bulatov
>
>http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf2001/proceedings/0103gardner.html
>
>cheers
>
>Charles
>
>On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>
>   > One more remark: this may not be the only way to help the accessibility
>   > issue in SVG. One exciting, but very research-hungry line might be to
>   > consider a specialized graphics renderer for SVG to produce Braile
> output,
>   > for example. I know that some work have been done on Braile rendering
>   > before but it is still a relatively isolated line of work, but it
> might be
>   > an exciting line of work!
>
>   By Braille, do you really mean tactile graphics (e.g. raised dots in a
>   2d map) ?  For regular Braille (text), the conversion from svg to html
>   gives you most of the solution.
>

>--
>Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61 409
>134 136
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1 617
>258 5999
>Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
>(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
>France)

Ivan Herman

Head of Offices, World Wide Web Consortium
C/o W3C Dutch Office hosted at CWI,  Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ Amsterdam
tel:           +31-20-5924163
fax:          +31-20-5924312
mobile:     +31-62-8881369 (does not work when I am in the US)
email:       ivan@w3.org