alphabytes (was Re: definition)

hola, emmanuelle!

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo wrote:
> Thank you for the splendid explanation, Gregory.

> But an alphabet is also:
> A system of characters or symbols representing sounds or things.

even when it extends well past the letter B, just as many western european
languages have numerically mis-named months...

> And a Chinese alphabet exists. And naturally a Chinese text in the Web
> will be alphanumeric, it will use characters and numbers of the Chinese
> alphabet.  I think so!

on the best of all possible webs, chinese (and all alphabets) will be
symbolically represented by unicode!

hmmm -- could what we call "text" in WAI documents could be defined as
"ideas or concrete concepts, expressed in the glphyic system utilized by
the declared natural language", or something similar in english?  (i still
haven't been able to locate a gregorian-to-english translation service)

on second thought, i really don't think that helps anyone, except,
perhaps, for george orwell, should he be in danger of losing momentum...

gregory.
PEDIGREE, n.  The known part of the route from an arboreal ancestor with
a swim bladder to an urban descendant with a cigarette.
	                     -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net