RE: New Window inform

> It also needs to be mentioned closer to the event don't you think?

My point (and that of Charles I think) is that the browser is and can do
the alerting and the user has some control over the browser or choice of
browser.  Mentioning it closer to the event should not be an requirement
for the author.  If the author adds some text, and the browser adds some
warning, then 1, the user gets it twice, and 2. has no way to turn off the
author's warning.

I had some experience when designing an on-line course on accessibility.
The e-learning design team we worked with had conducted studies that showed
users preferred to have the "Help" and "Tools" open in new separate windows
so they could be used in concert with the main lesson content.  This design
is nothing new, it's part of standard software GUI design that's been
around for years.

Us professionals don't go around saying that Windows software developers
must stop opening up new dialogs for user help and such,  nor do we say
that it must be mentioned near the event.  The behavior of the Windows
software application is usually documented somewhere and rarely read
either.  The "about this site" may not be the best place to describe the
consistent behavior of the particular web site or application, but it has
to be somewhere intuitive - where would recommend?

That it be documented is the requirement for the author, we already have
one for consistency.

>Actually - it would be nice to have some way of marking those for
>everyone --- but we don't make rules for everyone.

I consider the User Agent guidelines for everyone since they affect all
user agents.  So, all of us will have the opportunity to turn on or off the
behavior we like or choose another browser.  NS/Mozilla. IE, iCab, and
Opera (sometime with plug-ins) are all making good progress here.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,  (512) 838-4517
IBM Research Division - Accessibility Center
11501 Burnet Rd,  Austin TX  78758    http://www.ibm.com/able

Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu> on 09/13/2002 12:05:35 PM

Please respond to gv@trace.wisc.edu