Re: pdf error

Rick Majszak wrote:

> Ian,
>
> I found your address by doing a www.google.com search to try and solve the
> problem that I am having opening a pdf.  I had a direct hit as the messages
> below indicate.   Is there anyway to recover the document?  I did a very
> high (1200 dpi) scan using precision scan pro and when I tried to open the
> file i got the same error message "There was an error processing a page.
> There was a problem reading this document (110)."
>
> Thanks for the help.

Amy,

Since several people have reported this error, I've added
an entry to the errata page [1]. Due to W3C publication
policy, we can't replace the current PDF version with
a repaired one (I'm not even certain ours is broken; it
has worked in previous versions of Acrobat Reader). I
recommend that for now, you save the HTML version as
PostScript
and try to read that with your viewer (or you can print
it directly, obviously).

I apologize for the inconvenience,

  - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WAI-WEBCONTENT-ERRATA#entry-9

> Amy A. Sauer

> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:39:07 -0400
> From: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
> To: "Gregory, Phillip" <Phillip.Gregory@pembrokeshire.gov.uk>
> CC: site-comments@w3.org
> Subject: Re: pdf error
>
> "Gregory, Phillip" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >         Tried to download the pdf document
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/wai-pageauth.pdf
> >         and encountered the following error message "There was an error
> > processing a page. There was a problem reading this document (110)." ( I am
> > using version 5 of the Acrobat PDF Reader )
>
> Phil,
>
> First, thanks for sending your comment, and thanks for
> using WCAG 1.0 [1].
>
> In the status section of the cover page of the spec, you'll find:
>
>    "The list of known errors in this document is available at
>     http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WAI-WEBCONTENT-ERRATA.
>     Please report errors in this document to wai-wcag-editor@w3.org.
>
> This type of information is found in every W3C tech report
> status section.
>
> I have not heard of this PDF error and will investigate.
>
> > I wanted to inform you of this but I could not find a e-mail address or
> > other contact information on the page I was viewing at
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/  nor could I find a link to a site map
> > or to your home page, which I thought was not particuarly user friendly.
>
> The W3C icon at the top of each tech report links to the home page.
>
> >From the home page, you can get to the site index [2] and
> contact information page [3].
>
> We welcome specific usability suggestions for the home page, and
> do our best to integrate them to the design.
>
> Thanks again,
>
>  - Ian
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505
> [2] http://www.w3.org/Help/siteindex
> [3] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Contact
>
> --
> Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447