alt text

From: Lenore Snell <lenore@syncdek.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:09:04 -0500 (EST)
To: <wai-wcag-editor@w3.org>

To conform to the w3c spec means adding alt tags to all images, including
spacer graphics? I use a Mac so this isn't a problem - I can't see the alt
tags anyway. However, the PC will add alt tags to everything and PC users
(the majority) find it quite annoying when everything has an alt tag that
displays when you run your mouse over the image. I realize the value of
having the alt tag for text-based audiences.

Is there an alternative to the alt tag for spacer graphics? I generally put
alt="" for spacer graphics which would (?) fulfill the w3c spec of having an
alt tag there in terms of its existence although it really does nothing for
all audiences. However, the alternative of alt="spacer" would annoy everyone
except the Mac users who can't see alt tags and the text-based users who
might want to know that it's a spacer graphic instead of a graphic of a
flower, for example.

Lenore