Re: 'conformance'

"Dazeley, Howard" wrote:

> I can find no such word in either an American or English dictionary. Perhaps
> you mean 'compliance'.

What dictionaries are you using? The word conformance is
defined in the America-Heritage Dictionary Third edition
(at least) as a synonym for "conformity", which is defined
to be "action or behavior in correspondence with current
cusoms, rules, or styles". In the standards world, I think
the word "conformance" is used frequently. For instance,
a number of IETF drafts use this term as well (e.g.,
RFC 2049: "Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) Part
Five: Conformance Criteria and Examples".

In my opinion, the verbs "to conform" and "to comply" mean
almost the same thing in the realm of standards.

 - Ian

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783