Re: Conformance Logos

Tara Williams wrote:

> What is the W3Cs recommendation if a user comes across a W3C conformance
> logo on a page that is false?

> What involvement does the W3C have in assuring that its logos are used
> properly?
>
> Thank you for your time. I would appreciate knowing what users can do to
> limit false statements of accessibility.

Hi Tara,

We don't have a formal policy for addressing false claims.
As the logo page [1] explains:

  "Claim are not verified by W3C.
   Content providers are solely responsible for the use of these logos."

By default, W3C doesn't get involved in disputes over claims
(and we probably shouldn't since we don't have the resources for
handling substantial volume).

We do have a "report tool" (in beta) that is essentially
a form you can fill out when you evaluate a page and
allows you to document your findings and send them to
W3C.

My recommendation is that the user contact the content provider
with the following information:

 0) The URL of the page in question, and the relevant
    portion of the page.
 1) The WCAG 1.0 [1] requirement that is not being met.
 2) Any date or version information about the page (to help
    the content providers identify the page).
 3) A remedy, if possible.

Hope this helps,

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1AA-Conformance
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/report/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783