Re: Why are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines published in PDF format?

James Salsman wrote:

> Why are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
> published in the very non-accessible PDF format?
>
> Isn't that defeating the purpose?  Please take the
> opportunity to reduce the cognitive dissonance by
> pointing out the inaccessibility for PDF format.

The point is that the information is available in
an accessible format (HTML). That it is available
also in PDF (generated from the HTML) is a convenience
for those who can make use of the printed copy. It does
not harm accessibility to provide several formats -
as long as at least one is accessible and provides
the same information.

(Indeed, in our case, the HTML format is primary,
the PDF is secondary).

 - Ian

> Please see http://access.adobe.com for more info
> about what one must go through for PDF accessibility.
> I tried to get them to send their Solaris
> executable-only converter program, and they made me
> sign (and FAX!) a long contract and it took them
> several weeks to send it.
>
> Cheers,
> James Salsman
> HTML Forms Working Group, W3C
> Cisco Systems

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783