in-your-face URLs: please don't.

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:30:05 -0500
To: comments@gooddocuments.com
CC: gerald@w3.org, timbl@w3.org, wai-wcag-editor@w3.org
Dan,

Your website (http://www.gooddocuments.com/) seems to be full of the

	... interesting thing at

idiom. For example:

	(Chris also teaches journalism at Boston University --
	he has a web site at www.bu.edu/cdaly.)

	-- http://www.gooddocuments.com/philosophy/trellixdev.htm

I hope the trellix product doesn't encourage this idiom.

why not just

	(Chris also teaches journalism at Boston University --
	he has a _web site_.)

or better:

	(Chris also teaches journalism at Boston University --
	see _Chris Daly's Home Page_).

Please see:

	Avoid talking about mechanisms -- Hypertext Style Guide
	http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/NoMechanics
	ŠTim BL 1992,93,94,95

Tim, I suggest you add a paragraph about the url-in-your-face
idiom.

	If you use the original World Wide Web program,
	you never see a URL or have to deal with HTML.
	-- INTERVIEW Tim Berners-Lee
	On Simplicity, Standards,
	and "Intercreativity"
	http://www.w3j.com/3/s1.interview.html

I think this affects accessability; it's discussed in general
at

	http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/#links

but not specifically. WCAG folks, please add something.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/