Re: [webwatch] Jaws and radiobuttons

[Here Kelly Ford provides a good, user-friendly peek at where we are on label
information for form controls.  Note that in table cells, it is the yet more
primitive TITLE attribute that works most universally in screen readers, not
even anything as scientific/special-purpose as LABEL.  - Al]

Catherine,

There are at least two factors at play here.  First is whether or not the
web page in question has used some coding to give the radio buttons names in
a technique supported by screen readers and the technologies they use to
develop their page views.  The first choice is to use a label tag.  Second
is whether the version of the screen reader in question supports using the
tag.  If either of these factors is not met, screen readers will fall back
on other techniques which rely more on making decisions about text placement
to give names to things like radio buttons.  This is when you start getting
text read from other parts of the screen that frequently makes no sense.

I'll have to go back and check which versions of JAWS, earlier than 4.0,
correctly work with radio buttons that have label tags.  As an experiment
you can try visiting
<http://www.tracecenter.org/search/>http://www.tracecenter.org/search/ and see
what your
version of JAWS reads for the radio buttons.

Kelly