Re: definition of accessible: text is convenient

Al,

         This is my first attempt at coherent discussion since the events
this week, so if I don't express myself well, please excuse ....

         Yes, I know that text is "re-purposable" by being representable
visually, by sound (with special equipment), and in braille (with special
equipment), but as unspecific as images and real-life visual experiences
are, they are an important means of communication for many people. On
Tuesday, when our nation was attacked by horrific terrorists, I was able to
access only text until I got home from school and could see tv ... which
was when I realized that my sister who lives in Pittsburgh had been
vulnerable, and got offline to call her .... Another sister heard the news
on the radio at school and groaned so deeply her students asked her what
was wrong, and she said that Christy was in Pittsburgh ... We got a
directive from our new superintendent to limit any "human" need to know
what is happening on our part, and limit the exposure of our students to
graphical images of the horror .... to limit the trauma that are happening
to the children who saw their parents killed from the windows of their
classrooms ..... images are what brought Americans together this week ....
with words and text, but mostly images ..... think about it! Text didn't
happen online until long after all events had transpired!

                                                 Anne

At 08:32 AM 9/15/01 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>This is not to say that the objective is not symmetrical.  Text is not
>logically the foundation, experience is.  But more indirect representation by
>means of encoded verbalisations about experience turns out to be more
>repurposable in the field today that a more direct emulation of visual sensort
>experience.
>
>Al

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com