virtual conference in genomics

From: Willy Valdivia (willy_valdivia@ndsu.nodak.edu)
Date: Sat, Sep 15 2001

    Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:44:49 -0500
    From: Willy Valdivia <willy_valdivia@ndsu.nodak.edu>
    To: wai-events@w3.org
    Subject: virtual conference in genomics

    Dear Group:

    This letter will share information on abstracts, speakers, how to travel to
    Fargo, ND and possibilities for lodging. The First Virtual Conference in
    Genomics and Bioinformatics received 56 abstracts for consideration.
    Twenty-two abstracts have been accepted for the complete paper review
    (deadline September 21, 2001). The review panel will be announced after the
    deadline. Please feel free to forward this e-mail with your colleagues and
    ask the access grid operators in you area to participate.

    Why is important register at:
    http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/virtual-genomics/registration.htm ?

    Because give us an idea of your location and which access grid is closer to
    you.
    Because we will broadcast the conference live trough Real Player to those
    LDCs capable to set up a conference room, an Internet connection and a
    projector.

    Why is important to subscribe to the mailing list at
    http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=virtual-genomics&A=1

    Because we can send you more details about the conference, poster session,
    speakers, and the link for the electronic poster session and other details.

    Who is coming to Fargo?

    Around 280 participants had expressed their intensions to visit Fargo. They
    represent 30 states in the US and 20 countries. The maximum capacity for
    Fargo location is 380 people.

    Who is going to speak in the conference?

    Dr. J. Blanchard, National Center for Genome Resources. PathDB Project
    Leader
    http://www.ncgr.org/about/staff/jlb/

    Dr. P. Spellman, UC Berkeley. MDEG Microarray Data Standarization Group.
    http://www.mged.org/Steering_Committee/index.html

    Dr. S. Swaminathan, Brookhaven National Laboratory. Structural Genomics
    Project Leader.
    http://bnlstb.bio.bnl.gov/biodocs/structure/Swaminathan.htmlx

    Mr. Colin G. Sandercock. Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe  LLP.Life Sciences
    Patents.
    http://www.hewm.com/attorneys/attorneyBio.asp?attorneyID=1100

    Dr. Su Chung, GenomicXchange. Chief Computational Biologist
    http://www.geneticxchange.com/TheCoreTeam.html

    Dr. C. Giometti, Argonne National Laboratory. Archaeal Proteomics Project
    Leader.
    http://www.ipd.anl.gov/biotech/programs/proteomics/archaeal.html

    Dr. M. Zhang, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Computational Genomics.
    http://www.cshl.org/public/SCIENCE/zhang.html

    Dr. S. Zullo, National Institutes of Standar and Technology (NIST). Advanced
    Technology Program
    www.atp.nist.gov/

    Dr. P. Karp, SRI International, Director of the Bioinformatics Research
    Group.
    http://www.ai.sri.com/pkarp/

    Speakers checking the Access Grid locations

    Dr. T. Kazic, University of Missouri at Columbia, Biological Network
    Modeling Group

    Dr. J. Silverthorne, National Science Foundation. Plant Genome Program
    Director.
    http://staff.nsf.gov/subdiv.cfm?key=293

    Special Sessions:

    - Ethical Issues of Genomic Research.
    - The need for Data-Interoperativity.

    The Conference will start Monday, October 15, 9:30 a.m. CST., and will end
    Tuesday, October 16, 6:30 p.m. CST.

    Two major airlines fly into Fargo; Northwest Airlines connects from
    Minneapolis, MN and United airlines connects from Chicago, IL or Denver, CO.

    We have made special arrangements with two hotels in Fargo:  The Ramada
    Plaza Suites & Conference Center, 1635 42 St SW, Fargo, ND, 701-277-9000,
    and Radisson Hotel of Fargo, 201 5 St N, 701-232-7363.  The special room
    rate at Ramada Plaza Suites & Conference Center per night is $69.00 US
    dollars, and the special rate at the Radisson Hotel is $54.00 US dollars.
    When you call to make your reservations, you must tell the reservation desk
    that you are here for the Virtual Genome Conference in order to get these
    special rates.  We have a limited number of rooms at both hotels, and the
    rooms are held for Conference participants until September 24.  Both hotels
    provide transportation to and from the airport.  We will provide
    transportation to and from the meetings on both Monday and Tuesday.

    If you should need anything else while you are here, please let us know and
    we will try and accommodate you in anyway we can.  We look forward to
    visiting with each of you.  Thank you for your interest in the First Virtual
    Conference on Genomics and Bioinformatics!

    Sincerely,

    Willy Valdivia Granda
    Edward Deckard PhD
    Plant Sciences Department