Re: WAI Easy Check Document Not Useful

On 16/10/13 14:54, Sharron Rush wrote:

> ... you said ... non-expert will not be familiar with ...

Yes. As an example the document uses the phrase "Web Accessibility" in
the title and then says "accessibility of a web page" in the first
sentence. But there is no explanation of what "accessibility" is.

Further down the page says "FF Toolbar", "IE WAT", "WCAG Links",
"Practicing with BAD", which will not make much sense to the uninitiated.

> Generally we find that the results of automated checkers are too
> overwhelming and complex for non-experts. ...

That is not my experience. I find they can cope. But I suggest producing
a simplified checker which only checks a few items
and explains them in plan language.

> * ...explain how to do additional manual checks ...
>
> I am confused by this suggestion since the document is, in fact, a
> series of explanations of how to do additional manual checks. ...

I suggest explaining what the web feature is for, what a good one is and
then how to check it. For example, the document introduces page titles
by saying: "Page titles are ... shown in the window title bar in some
browsers ...". But it does not actually say what a page title is.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/