Re: Example of accessible CAPTCHAS that work well

Hi again,

OK, let's take security out for the moment, though I still think that without it, even the most accessible captcha is useless.

Let's focus on accessibility instead. Better yet, requirements.

WCAG 2.0 SC 1.1.1 says the following on Captchas:

"CAPTCHA: If the purpose of non-text content is to confirm that content is being accessed by a person rather than a computer, then text alternatives that identify and describe the purpose of the non-text content are provided, and alternative forms of CAPTCHA using output modes for different types of sensory perception are provided to accommodate different disabilities."

The related sufficient techniques are pretty straight forward in theory:

G143: Providing a text alternative that describes the purpose of the CAPTCHA
G144: Ensuring that the Web Page contains another CAPTCHA serving the same purpose using a different modality

Both need to be met in order for WCAG 2.0 conformance to be a success. On paper, that sounds like a really easy thing to do.

However, I have yet to see a working example of this. Of all the possible alternatives that have been thought of in the past 10 years, none truly come close. Images are harder and harder to make out, sound files are harder and harder to hear, and I'm not even talking about ridiculous options like rotating 3d content in video and color based recognition of characters. A lot of creativity is put into making a new alternative hoping it would catch on, but every time, it's another accessibility nightmare. When every other alternatives still leaves people out, what is your option? Provide a phone number people can use? Hardly a satisfactory option as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying we dump WCAG2. I'm only saying that SC 1.1.1 alone is insufficient to solve the captcha problem.

I fail to see how this can be simple and obviously, quite a fe of us do too, otherwise this problem would have been solved a long time ago.

>From an engineer's stand point then, if it's easy and not complex, what would you suggest?

/Denis