Re: Ready for Review: "Web Accessibility is Smart Business" Presentation

  Hi Cliff,

I'm getting back to the business case slides finally. Comments below.

On 2/1/2011 2:05 PM, Cliff Tyllick wrote:
> Both PPT and PPTX work on Windows XP in PP 2007. I'll e-mail these files home and see what happens. It might have been an artifact of the download.

We need to figure out why it doesn't work sometimes. Any help appreciated!

> Quick critique:
> A couple of slides show "Add text here" or the like when viewed in Edit mode. That is no problem -- the instructions don't appear when you view the slide show itself. So don't worry if people point this out. (It seems to be a thing that happens in PP 2007, where there are no text fields -- any kind of content can be put in any field at all. The "Add text" prompt remains in the Edit view if you add anything but text to the field. If it really troubles someone, the quick fix I've found is to enter one blank space in that field. PP thinks you've done something, so it's happy.)

I think I got rid of them all. (they are text boxes from the slide master.) I deleted the text box instead of putting a blank space so as not to complicate things for screen reader users. Let me know if I've missed any.

> A general impression: Be sure every key slide has a strongly active statement introducing it. Some do. But here are a couple that don't:
> "Alternative text benefits" can be read as three nouns in a row. In that particular slide, perhaps we could replace "benefits" with "helps:"? "serves:"?

Well, I want to say that it benefits people with disabilities and website owners and people without disabilities in certain situations, etc. I think "helps" and "serves" would make readers think it's primarily about people with disabilities, whereas we really want to stress that it's of benefit to the websites owners, too!
Also, "benefits" relates to common phrasing "cost-benefits".

> "Benefits situations" (on slide that displays images) could become "Accessibility helps..." (or whatever the local topic was instead of "Accessibility")
Changed to [Reach people in more situations] (and yes, the title is deliberately off screen -- it's not suppose to be visible, but needs to be there for screen reader users, outline view, etc.

> Slide mechanics: In some of the "builds," it seems we could start a step or two later. Why am I seeing a blank screen, then a red rectangle at one side, then a quotation mark, then the source, and finally the quote? Why not put the source at the beginning? (Although perhaps I'll see when I read the notes.)

I fixed a few things and others have to do with the flow of the speaker. I plan to do a video to go along with this, so people can see a suggested delivery method. *Hopefully* no one will be just running through the presentation by itself; they will be reading the notes.

I also expect the flow might change just a bit as I rehearse it.

> Point of word choice: instead of "Increased usability for all" wouldn't "Improved..." be better? (Usability is a trait, not a quantity.)

done.

> Also, on this slide, the top three bullets are black, the bottom three are blue. Is that intentional? (The bullets themselves, not the text following them)

fixed.
> Somewhere there was a "lowered" that seems it could have been clearer if we used "reduced" instead.
> Sorry for the randomness -- I was just able to quickly view the two presentations. Will check notes later.

Thanks fro the input! I'll post an updated draft soon and send an e-mail to the EOWG list...

~Shawn