Re: EOWG comments on How People With Disabilities Use the Web

Hi Shawn,

On 28.3.2011 17:38, Shawn Henry wrote:

> [CC: eo-editors list]
>
> Hi Shadi,
>
> Here is the distilled info from Friday’s EOWG telecom along with my
> suggestions. (Note that I have added information to each point, and
> include the link to the minutes so one can see what is direct from the
> meeting versus my additional input.) Feel free to do what you think best
> with all of them. No need to reply to me. Some might need reply to EOWG,
> depending how you handle them. I'm happy to help coordinate that.

Thank you, this is a very helpful distillation and useful suggestions.

> As we discussed last week, I’d like most issues addressed before we
> announce the WBS to EOWG folks. I wonder if we (well, you ;-) can get
> all but the browsing page title done then we can open the WBS with just
> that one open issue?

Think all done but one comment on BWB below.

> I. Overview page:
>
> 1. change tip text to: "There are additional supporting materials
> available on the Web, such as _videos of how people with disabilities
> use web_." (consider lowercase since not exact title, or if leave
> capitalized, then also capitalize “Videos”) [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/25-eo-minutes.html#action09]

Done but left "Web" capitalized, as per WAI editing conventions, but
happy to override if preferred.

> 2. consider adding at the bottom a pointer to Better Web Browsing (more
> below)
>
> 3. consider adding at the bottom a note about using this info for
> developing personas (more below)
>
> 4. if you decide to do all 3, maybe put a <p class=”listintro”>Notes:
> [or See also: or Tips:]</p><ul class=”listafterpul”>... with each of
> above a bullet

Done but feel free to go in and edit the text, as needed.

> II. http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/2009/browsing
>
> 1. change page title to Different Ways People Use the Web [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/25-eo-minutes.html#action01]
>
> Since this won’t work, here is a suggestion: put brackets around the
> title that is there now and let’s give EOWG the WBS while we work more
> on it. Then we can talk more about it on this week’s telecon.

Used "Ways People Use the Web" for now, and added brackets as suggested.

> 2. first sentence: leave to Editor's discretion based on comments in
> e-mail thread [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/25-eo-minutes.html#action02]
>
> SLH suggests: "This page introduces some of the techniques and tools
> that people with disabilities use to interact with the Web, such as
> browser settings, text-to-speech, voice recognition, and many more."

Done.

> 3. in the introduction, point to BWB doc
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/users/browsing> - and also consider putting in
> the Overview [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/25-eo-minutes.html#action05]
>
> SLH suggests: “For instructions on how to customize your particular web
> browser and computer setup, see _ Better Web Browsing: Tips for
> Customizing Your Computer_."

*Not done* -- it is already in "Tools and preferences" section (but
hidden by default) and also now on the overview page.

> III. Stories of Web Users
>
> 1. Consider mentioning personas in intro, although carefully since not
> everyone know what they are. Maybe something along the lines of: "If you
> develop <a href="
> http://www.uiaccess.com/accessucd/personas.html">personas</a>, you can
> use this information to help develop them, per <a
> href="http://www.w3.org/WAI/about/usingWAImaterial">Using WAI
> Material</a>." [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/25-eo-minutes.html#action10] Or maybe this
> would go better on the overview page, since really the other sub-pages
> are relevant to developing personas. The reason that EOWG wanted
> something was so that if a persona developer landed on this resource, we
> want them to know they are in a place that will help them. /me thinks
> EOWG would be OK to save this for later version when we add a section on
> how to use this resource.

Done (prefer suggestion of keeping in the Overview page).

> 2. The action recorded was: "Consider adding employment to Ms. Martinez
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/2009/scenarios#onlinestudent";
> however, I don’t think you ought to do it.
>
> One person thought the people in the stories weren’t employed enough,
> and although PWDs have high unemployment rate, thought it would be good
> to combat myth the PWDs aren’t productive members of society. When I
> went through each, he understood there were more employed than he thought.
>
> I think you can handle this as editor’s discretion, but would be good to
> reply to the action. Here is a draft reply for you:
>
> [[
>
> Of the 8 stories, 4 have clear employment, 2 are children, and 2 are
> unspecified, as listed below. In order to not emphasis employment, I
> prefer not to add employment to Ms. Martinez.
>
> Employment clear:
> * Mr. Jones, Reporter with repetitive stress injury – employment in
> title & first paragraph
> * Ms. Laitinen, Accountant with blindness – employment in title & first
> paragraph
> * Mr. Sands, Supermarket assistant with Down syndrome – employment in
> title & first paragraph
> * Mr. Yunus, Retiree with low vision, hand tremor, and mild short-term
> memory loss – "retiree" (in title & first paragraph) implies previous
> employment
>
> Employment not relevant:
> * Ms. Olsen, Classroom student with attention deficit hyperactivity
> disorder (ADHD) and dyslexia – child so employment not appropriate
> * Ms. Kaseem, Teenager with deaf-blindness – teenager so employment less
> relevant
>
> Employment not stated:
> * Mr. Lee, Online shopper with color blindness – employment not mentioned
> * Ms. Martinez, Online student who is hard of hearing – employment not
> mentioned
>
> ]]

I agree with this response, and will send according to Wayne and EOWG.

> IV. Later:
>
> * consider adding to Overview page tips on how to use this resource in
> different situations, e.g., education, developing personas, ...

Or consider a different page altogether (maybe as part of the Training
suite?) and cross-reference. Just a thought.

> * outreach & SEO to get usability/UX/UCD people to know of this resource
> for developing personas -- Shawn, add to
> http://www.uiaccess.com/accessucd/personas.html a link to HowPWDsUseWeb
> and maybe comment on
> http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_personas/index.html. (link only
> "personas") [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/25-eo-minutes.html#action07]

OK.

Also:
  - Changed "Web Accessibility Principles" to "Accessibility Principles"
  - added acknowledgments page

Best,
   Shadi