Re: Completion of mobile accessibility document for review (paragraph on differences of approach)

Please see my comments inline.

On 22 Apr 2009, at 13:17, Alan Chuter wrote:

> [start proposed text] WCAG and MWBP both aim to improve the Web
> interaction of users who experience barriers due to either
> disabilities or the device used to access the Web. However, WCAG
> and MWBP have slightly different approaches. For example, a key
> feature of WCAG is testability and the WCAG 2.0 success criteria
> are specifically designed to be testable statements. W3C recommends
> that all Web sites comply with WCAG 2.0. In some situations, Web
> sites are legally required to be accessible. MWBP is different in
> that it provides suggested best practices for consideration.
> Although some of the best practices are testable, they are not all
> intended to be testable. It is not expected that all Web sites will
> meet MWBP.

I think it is better not to include the last sentence "It is not
expected that all Web sites will meet MWBP". I think it is not so
much related to the comparison.

> While the two documents show significant overlap in many areas,
> there is a continuum in the level of overlap between the individual
> technical requirements, so that there is not always a 1:1 mapping
> between them. For instance, WCAG has some requirements that are
> specific to accessibility needs of people with disabilities, and
> that are not relevant for mobile devices (for example, requirements
> that specifically address assistive technology). Conversely, MWBP
> has other requirements that are specific to mobile devices only
> (for example, requirements to minimize battery consumption and CPU
> power). However, in general most requirements are applicable for
> both groups of users (for example, requirements for color contrast,
> flexible font sizes, etc.).
> [end proposed text]
>
> However, I would disagree with the suggestion:
>
> > ... "WCAG is intended for all Web sites while
> > MWBP is not intended for all Web sites"

I agree with Alan, I don't think this shows a difference in the
approach and it can give the wrong impression about the MWBP.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to join the call this Friday.

Yeliz.