Feedback on "Shared Web Experiences: Barriers Common to Mobile Device Users and People with Disabilities"

From: Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:38:01 +0900
To: wai-eo-editors@w3.org
Cc: public-bpwg@w3.org

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the group and the following are a couple trivial
suggestions as feedback for "Barriers Common to Mobile Device Users
and People with Disabilities". These might be invalid as I am still
going through the backlog of the working group.

Audio-only prompts (beeps, buzzes) for important information
(warnings, errors).
- Buzzes do not seem to meet the context, as the context mostly states
about hearing ability. I believe buzzing could also be a alternative
alert for the both the blind and deaf.

Non-text content
- Images or other media content that can trigger a page reflow should
explicitly state a predefined size for the user agent to reserve that
space for the image before it is loaded to prevent the page text
content from being pushed down due to delayed image delivery in a
linearized page format. Reflow that moves the current viewport will
provide a bad user experience for users with motor disability and will
even frustrate normal users.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sangwhan