Re: A few editorial comments on "Shared Web Experiences: Barriers Common to Mobile Device Users and People with Disabilities

Hi Francois,

Thanks for your comments. I have addressed all of them in the latest
version (<http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences-new> and <http://
www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences-new-format>), please let me know if
you are happy with the changes.

On 10 Sep 2008, at 11:04, Francois Daoust wrote:

> In short, the document's content looks good and I agree with the
> consistency remark Jo just sent: you should choose between
> referring to users as "User", "Users", or even omitting it and
> stick to that. The same goes with "Device" which is sometimes
> referred to as "Mobile Device", and with "can't" sometimes written
> as "cannot", "don't" as "do not", ...

Changed all "can't" to "cannot" and "don't" to "do not".

> Large page or large images
> -----
> "[User] is unable to relate different areas of a page so becomes
> disoriented or has to scroll excessively"
> For ease of reading:
> "[User] is unable to relate different areas of a page *, and* so
> becomes disoriented or has to scroll excessively"

Changed this.

> Multimedia with no captions
> -----
> "often in noisy places (streets, nightclubs) can't hear."
> Subject is missing:
> "Users often can't hear in noisy places (streets, nightclubs)".

Changed this.

> Audio-only prompts...
> -----
> Again, for consistency purpose, the text should be the same as in
> "Multimedia with not captions".

Changed this.

> Free-text entry...
> -----
> I don't know if there is a reason for the order of the barriers,
> but I would move this one to after "Important information in non-
> text content..." so that all barriers referring to non-text
> alternatives are listed together.

Changed the ordering.

> Embedded non-text objects...
> -----
> "Already small images re-dimensioned even smaller in adaptation,
> become meaningless"
> The sentence is a bit obscure. Suggestion:
> "Images shrunk in size to fit the device's screen may become
> meaningless"

Changed this.

> Important information in non-text content
> -----
> I'm not sure I see a clean distinction between that and the above
> "Embedded non-text objects..." barrier or even with the "Multimedia
> with no captions" one. I would simply remove this barrier, and
> possibly merge it with "Embedded non-text objects..." to emphasize
> the fact that this is primordial for "important" information.

I understand your comment but I would prefer to keep both as their
focus are slightly different.

> Content formatted using tables or CSS...
> -----
> "Mobile Context: Meaning of content altered by reformatting or
> restructuring in adaptation process."
> I completely miss the point here. Could you clarify?
> I also wonder whether the following two best practices should also
> be listed here:
> [TABLES_NESTED] Do not use nested tables.
> [TABLES_ALTERNATIVES] Where possible, use an alternative to tabular
> presentation.

Added those two and also changed the text.

> Missing or inappropriate page title
> -----
> "Missing, or inappropriate, or long page title means user cannot
> scan easily get an overview."
> "to" is missing:
> "Missing, or inappropriate, or long page title means user cannot
> scan easily *to* get an overview."

Changed this.

> Not descriptive link label
> -----
> Shouldn't the title be "Non descriptive link label?"
> There's a "t" missing in:
> "User cannot determine to follow or no*t* to follow a link"

Changed this.

> Blinking, moving, scrolling or auto-updating content
> -----
> "make it difficult"
> -> "make*s* it difficult"

Changed this.