Re: Rethinking organization of the mobile-accessibility documents [was: Discussion on purpose of Mobile Accessibility document]

Thanks for the discussion today, Alan. I thought some more about it, went through previous drafts, and mocked up an option with the following sections:

1. Summary of work required to make content that meets MWBP also meet WCAG 2.0 - simple lists of Nothing, Something, Everything. within each list, ordered by priority. links go to the sections below.

2. Addressing WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria - organized by SC number (and thus topic). includes the full SC text, and short instructions on what is needed for WCAG 2.0 in relation to what is already done for MWBP. the SC numbers link to the Quick Ref, and the MWBP link to the "Accessibility aspects of Mobile Web Best Practices" section below.
QUESTION: Should this section include only the ones in the "Something" category in order to keep this section short & focused? Or, should it list all SC so that people can use this as a comprehensive list?

3. Accessibility aspects of Mobile Web Best Practices - answers "How does it enhance accessibility to people with disabilities?" and 'Does it relate to WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria?"

See attached. What do you think of this organization? (I'm sure the wording could be improved.) Does this provide:
- A quick overview of how much is in the three categories (1,2,3 below)
- A concise bit of info on the #2 items, telling me just what else to check to see if I need to do more to meet WCAG.
- Links to more details if I want them
?

How about the 3 of us check in on Wednesday at 1600 Spain / 1500 UK / 0900 US Central ? I will set up a teleconference bridge, and provide details in IRC at #eo

Best,
~Shawn

Shawn Henry wrote:

> [...]
> this to be short, quick, and clear.
> * I _might_ want to look into more details on a couple of points, but I
> don't want that to clutter the simple material (e.g., it's linked to
> elsewhere)
>
> You can switch MWBP and WCAG in the above and the rest still applies.
>
> (Please accept my apologies in taking so long to complete my action item
> to write up the notes above.)
>
> Regards,
> ~Shawn
>

> Shawn Henry wrote:
>> Thanks for getting us started re-thinking the overall purpose,
>> audience, and organization of these documents, Alan.
>>
>> I took a pass at updating the analysis document at
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/changelogs/cl-mwbp-wcag
>> I think the 3 primary use cases for the documents are (where the "I"
>> could be a developer, manager, policy maker, etc.):
>> 1. I know WCAG 1.0 and now I also want to do MWBP.
>> 2. I know MWBP, and now I also want to do WCAG 2.0.
>> 3. I haven't done much with either accessibility or designing for
>> mobile devices, and now I want to do both.
>>
>> Question: How common is #2 - that is, are many people familiar with MWBP?
>>
>> Let's think about simplifying the documents for the primary use cases.
>> Also, it would be good if we could provide for both these situations:
>> - people who just need a quick, simple list and explanation of what
>> they need to do
>> - people who are interested in the knowing more about the issues
>>
>> For example, if I already meet WCAG and I just want the simplified
>> list of what I need to do to also meet MWBP, I really don't want to
>> wade through the benefits of one for the other, I just want the info
>> on what of the MWBP I've already met and what I still need to do.
>>
>> I also posted online updated drafts of the "Experiences" document,
>> which Yeliz has been working on. Note that the 2 documents below have
>> the same information, yet one is formatted in a table and the other is
>> not.
>> * Table-version:
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/MWBP-WCAG/experiences-draft
>> * Non-table-version:
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/MWBP-WCAG/experiences2-draft
>>
>> Let's also re-think what we want in this document. Perhaps some of the
>> information that is currently in the technical document
>> <http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/Accessibility/drafts/ED-mwbp-wcag-20080314/>
>> would be better located in the "Experiences" document?
>>
>> EOWG: Please send your thoughts to the EOWG list in the next day or
>> two, and then let's try to finalize it on the EOWG teleconference this
>> Friday so that Alan and Yeliz can re-organize the documents as needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~Shawn
>>

>> Yeliz Yesilada wrote:
>>>

>>> I agree with Jo; I am also not sure what the proposed changes are. I
>>> thought there are five documents:
>>>
>>> 1. Working on WCAG 2.0 and MWBP together;
>>> 2. Starting from MWBP and extending/upgrading to WCAG 2.0
>>> 3. Starting from MWBP and extending/upgrading to WCAG 1.0
>>> 4. Starting from WCAG 1.0 and extending/upgrading to MWBP

--
Shawn Lawton Henry, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
about: http://www.w3.org/People/Shawn/